Cardamom-Coffee Toffee Bars
- Yield 16 servings
These toffee bars have an unusual spice note—from the cardamom.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon very finely graound espresso-roast coffee grounds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhang the edges of the dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, coffee and cardamom. Add salt and flour and mix just until incorporated. Spread mixture in bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until bars are golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately scatter the chocolate over the hot bars. Return bars to oven for a minute or two just until chocolate softens. Remove from oven; spread chocolate evenly over bars. Sprinkle with almonds. Let cool.
- When cool, lift bars from the baking dish using the edges of the foil. Use a sharp knife to cut.