Caraway Rice Special
- Yield 4 servings
"My husband and I like Caraway Rice Special so much that we make the full recipe as a side dish for one meal; then the next day or two, we add chopped cooked chicken or pork for a main dish. When my nephew, Keith, first tried it, he asked for seconds, then thirds."
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 1/4 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large kettle, saute celery and onion in oil until crisp-tender (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in rice, water, bouillon, caraway seed, salt, and Mrs. Dash.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and fluff with fork.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Mix green and red bell pepper for a more colorful rice dish. It lends nicely to stir-fry. If you prefer brown rice, increase cooking time from 20 minutes to about 40 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
– Carmella Brink, Harrison, S.D.