Caraway Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This delightful soup will warm any tummy on a chilly day. Camembert cheese adds wonderful, velvety texture to your palate.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 -- fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Camembert cheese or domestic Brie cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- -- Sunflower seeds, toasted
- Saute onion, celery, carrot and jalapeno in butter in a stockpot until the onion is tender; do not brown. Stir in caraway seeds. Sprinkle with the flour and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes or until of a roux consistency, stirring constantly. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Process the vegetable mixture in a food processor until smooth. Return the vegetable mixture to stockpot. Add cheddar cheese, Camembert cheese, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and pepper and mix well. Cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Strain through cheesecloth into a bowl and discard vegetables. Return soup to stockpot. Simmer until heated through, stirring frequently. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with toasted sunflower seeds.
Recipe reprinted with permission from David W. Anderson, Famous Dave's Backroads & Sidestreets (Minneapolis: The Lifeskills Center for Leadership, 1999)