Caraway Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2cup finely chopped carrot
- 1-- fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3tablespoons flour
- 4cups chicken broth, heated
- 1cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1cup Camembert cheese or domestic Brie cheese
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- -- Sunflower seeds, toasted
- Saute onion, celery, carrot and jalapeno in butter in a stockpot until the onion is tender; do not brown. Stir in caraway seeds. Sprinkle with the flour and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes or until of a roux consistency, stirring constantly. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Process the vegetable mixture in a food processor until smooth. Return the vegetable mixture to stockpot. Add cheddar cheese, Camembert cheese, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and pepper and mix well. Cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Strain through cheesecloth into a bowl and discard vegetables. Return soup to stockpot. Simmer until heated through, stirring frequently. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with toasted sunflower seeds.
Recipe reprinted with permission from David W. Anderson, Famous Dave's Backroads & Sidestreets (Minneapolis: The Lifeskills Center for Leadership, 1999)