Caramelized Vidalia Onion Dip
- Yield 10 servings
Nothing like a comforting bowl of onion soup to end a hectic day.
- 2 large Vidalia onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half root end to stem end. Remove the papery outer layer. Slice them into 1/8-inch-thick half-rounds.
- Heat a large, un-coated sauté pan over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the oil. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 40 more minutes, stirring occasionally (but not too often-the onions should start to stick to the pan) until the onions are browned and caramelized. Stir in the Dijon and balsamic vinegar and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth and well blended. Stir in the onions and serve with ridged potato chips.
Note: This is great the next day.