Caramelized Vidalia Onion Bread Pudding
- Yield 8 servings
A rich side dish perfect, this savory bread pudding combines sweet Vidalia onions and creamy goat cheese.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Vidalia onions, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 cups (1-inch) cubes coarse-textured bread, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat a heavy-bottom skillet. Add vegetable oil. When hot add onions and salt. Cook until onions are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make custard, in a bowl whisk the eggs vigorously. Add half-and-half and seasonings Add bread and 1 cup of goat cheese (reserve 1/2 cup). Gently stir.
- Fill buttered 6-ounce ramekins with mixture. Top with reserved crumbled goat cheese. Place ramekins on a baking tray. Place in oven and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until custard is just set. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes and serve.