Caramelized Vidalia Onion and Miso Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
Serve as is or place soup in ovenproof bowls and top with croutons sprinkled with shredded provolone, mozzarella or soy-based cheese. Bake 4 minutes at 375F.
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Vidalia onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- Water, as needed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1tablespoon whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1cup dry white or red wine
- 6cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2tablespoons white miso
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a nonreactive 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and cook 10 to 12 minutes without stirring much until well browned. If onions are sticking, add a drizzle of water.
- Add garlic, thyme and tomato paste, stirring well into onions. Add flour and combine well. Add wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, scraping pan bottom. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add miso and pepper. Stir well and serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 70
- Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 872mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 3g