- Yield: 1 cups
- 1large onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon fresh (or 1 teaspoon dried) thyme leaves
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut onions vertically in half; slice thinly into half-circles and transfer to a large bowl. Add oil, butter, thyme, salt and pepper; toss well.
- Transfer onions to a shallow casserole dish or roasting pan. Roast 60 minutes, mixing occasionally, or until browned. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to jar, cover and refrigerate up to one month. Makes about 1 cup.