Caramelized Onion and Lemon Marmalade
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Serve this delicious sweet-sour marmalade as a topping for any savory dish or with or on toast, with cheese.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 cups minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or light-colored honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemon zest
- Place a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and wait about 2 minutes. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onions and salt, sauté for 5 minutes, then cover the pan.
- Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and sugar, and cook uncovered for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the lemon zest. Cool to room temperature, then pack into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
- Prior to service, toast walnuts in oven for 8-10 minutes at 350F. Top toasted walnuts and marmalade on top of fish, chicken, or other savory dish and serve. Makes 2 cups.
Note: Remove the lemon zest before juicing the lemon. It's easiest to strip the zest with a vegetable peeler, then to chop it on a cutting board with a sharp knife.
Recipe courtesy of Mollie Katzen.