- Yield 8 servings
A nonfat caramel sauce for icecream or cake.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- In a heavy, small saucepan, heat water and brown sugar over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil without stirring until sugar mixture turns deep golden brown, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in vanilla.
- Combine cornstarch and evaporated milk in a small bowl to make a thin paste and stir into sauce. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened.