Caramel Oatmeal Bars
- Yield 24 pieces
These delicious bars make a convenient snack.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix well. Pat 1/2 of the oat mixture over the bottom of a greased 7×11-inch or 9×9-inch baking dish. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, coconut and nuts over the warm baked layer.
- Combine the ice cream topping and 3 tablespoons flour in a bowl and mix well. Spread over the prepared layers. Sprinkle with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Chill for 30 to 45 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of North Harris and South Montgomery Counties, Inc.’s Texas Ties(Spring, Tx., 1997).