Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies
- Yield: 4 dozen
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup baking cocoa
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1cup packed brown sugar
- 1cup sugar
- 2-- eggs
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 48-- soft caramel candies
- 1/2cup finely chopped pecans
- 1tablespoon sugar
- Sift the flour, baking cocoa and baking soda into a bowl. Cream the butter, brown sugar and 1 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Beat in the dry ingredients gradually.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Shape 1 tablespoon of the dough around each caramel candy, covering completely. Mix the pecans and 1 tablespoon sugar on a plate. Press 1 side of the balls into the pecan mixture and place coated side up on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, Southern Grace, Recipes and Remembrances from The W, (Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, 2004)