- Yield 25 to 30 pieces
"My family and friends all really like these caramel cream cookies and I have won a couple of baking contests with them. The cookies are good plain but delicious with the brown butter filling. I'm sure the readers will enjoy them, once they have tried them!"
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and pecans. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Shape into two 10-inch rolls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Unwrap and slice each roll into 25 to 30 cookies. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for 11 to 13 minutes, or until golden. Remove and cool on wire racks.
- For the filling: Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan. Stir until golden brown. Remove from heat. Add confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and enough whipping cream to achieve spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies. Top with remaining half of cookies.
JoAnn Reid, Salisbury, N.C.