Caramel Apple Sundaes
- Yield 4 servings
Vanilla gelato, frozen yogurt or even soy- or rice-based frozen dessert can be substituted for the ice cream in these gooey sundaes.
Oversize martini glasses make a stylish presentation for the sundaes.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 4 tablespoons jarred caramel topping, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons coarsely chopped lightly salted peanuts
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples, sugar and nutmeg. Cook, turning occasionally with a large spoon, 7 minutes or until golden brown and nearly tender.
- Place scoops of ice cream in individual serving dishes. Top with caramel topping, caramelized apples and peanuts.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.