- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1cup apples, peeled and diced
- 10 soft caramel candy squares
- 2 1/2tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together sugar, oil, and egg until smooth and blended. Add flour mixture and beat until well-combined. Batter will be thick. Fold in diced apples.
- Spoon about 2/3 of batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt together caramel candies and heavy cream, stirring constantly so mixture doesn’t burn. Once caramel is completely melted and smooth, drizzle over batter.
- Spoon remaining batter in dollops over caramel, then swirl it in gently with a knife. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out with a few, moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
This recipe originally appeared as Caramel Apple Blondies on culinarycoutureblog.com.