Caprese Salad with Beets
- Yield 6 servings
This classic summer salad of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil is even better with the addition of another summer staple–earthy beets. It comes to us by way of Chef Stan Chamberlain, of Crippen’s Country Inn and Restaurant in Blowing Rock, N.C.
- 1 pound red beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound golden beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 -- garlic cloves
- 1/2 -- shallot
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and place in oven in a roasting pan. Roast beets for about 1 hour, until they are knife tender. Let cool. Rub off skins and slice.
- Place garlic and shallot in a blender or food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add basil leaves and vinegar. Pulse again. Slowly add oil, processing until smooth. Add salt. Stack beets, tomato and mozzarella slices. Drizzle with vinaigrette.