Caprese Jar Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Toss this bright, fresh tomato mixture with pasta or serve as a bruschetta topping.
- 1 pint ripe grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (4-ounce) fresh mozzarella ball, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 sprigs (about 1/2 ounce) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- In a small mixing bowl, toss grape tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Layer tomato mixture, bell peppers, mozzarella, basil and garlic into 4 (1-cup) glass canning jars. Sprinkle balsamic vinegar over layers. Pour olive oil into jars to cover tomatoes.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes so flavors will intensify. Serve or refrigerate up to 1 week. Makes 2 pints.