Caprese Skillet Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
The kitchen timer is your friend for this recipe. To avoid drying out the thin pieces of chicken, watch your meat closely and set a timer for the recommended cooking times.
- 1 1/2pounds chicken breasts, about 3 small
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch for finishing
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus a pinch for finishing
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 6ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2medium tomatoes
- 8large fresh basil leaves
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4tablespoons balsamic vinegar, for serving
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, making thin cutlets. If the chicken is still more than ½ inch thick, lightly pound the cutlets until they are an even ½ inch in thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper and dried basil. Slice the cheese into ¼-inch-thick slices, slice the tomatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices and slice the fresh basil into thin shreds. Set on a plate next to the stove.
- Warm a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the chicken in a single layer across the skillet. Cook without touching for 90 seconds. Reduce the heat to medium. Flip the chicken over and top each piece of chicken with cheese and then tomato slices and cover with a lid. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes. The cheese should be just beginning to melt over the chicken.
- Remove from the heat, uncover and test the chicken for doneness. It should be white throughout with barely a hint of pink. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper and top with the fresh basil. Drizzle with the balsamic just before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook © 2016 by Mary Younkin, Page Street Publishing Co.