Grilled Chicken Sandwiches Tre Formaggio
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, diced
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 8-- inch thick) slices country style Italian bread
- 4ounces mozzarella cheese (preferably fresh), shredded
- 4ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2cup pecorino cheese, grated (can substitute parmesan)
- 1cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2-- beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- -- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine mozzarella, fontina, and pecorino; toss to combine. Use 2 tablespoons olive oil (total) to brush on the tops of the bread slices. Turn 4 of the slices over (oil-side down). Top these 4 slices with equal amounts of basil leaves. Then top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, equal amounts of tomato slices, the chicken mixture, the remaining 1/2 of the cheese mixture, and a slice of bread (oil-side up). This will yield 4 sandwiches.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add 2 sandwiches, With a flat metal spatula press down firmly on sandwiches in skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Flip sandwiches and cook on other side, pressing down with spatula, for another 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove sandwiches, add another tablespoon of olive oil to skillet, and repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. (Of course, you can alternately use two separate skillets to cook all of the sandwiches at the same time).
Slice sandwiches on the diagonal. Garnish with basil.
Makes 4 servings.