- Yield 48 servings
This recipe makes quite a bit of this flavorful Italian eggplant and vegetable dish, but you can always cut the recipe in half.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups thickly sliced celery
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes with their juice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed green olives
- Cut the unpeeled eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Heat a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium-low heat and add the eggplant and onions, sauteing until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the celery, green peppers, garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, basil tomato paste, parsley, pepper and green olives to the pot and stir gently but thoroughly. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer about 10 minutes more, or until thick. Makes 3 quarts.