Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad
- Yield: servings
This savory salad is a variation on classic Italian spring and summer fare when cantaloupe is at its peak. The sweetness of the melon is enhanced by the black pepper and vinegar and is nicely complimented by the smoky flavor of prosciutto. Served alongside fresh, crusty bread and creamy goat cheese, this juicy melon salad makes a perfect warm weather appetizer or meal.
- 1 (2- to3-pound) cantaloupe, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2cup prosciutto, diced
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 3tablespoons freshly snipped chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf crusty country bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- Olive oil for broiling
- 8ounces fresh goat cheese
- Preheat broiler. In medium bowl, combine first 6 ingredients and toss gently to blend. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Using a pastry brush, coat bread slices with olive oil. Toast under broiler on ungreased baking sheet until bread is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Arrange the bread slices and goat cheese on a large platter around the melon salad, garnish with chives, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature for the best flavor.
Recipe by Cheryl Barnes.