- Yield servings
- 4 quarts fresh picked strawberries, rinsed and drianed
- 3/4 cup turbinado or raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or other fruity vinegar
- Cap berries (take off the green tops and discard.) If strawberries are large then cut in half, if small then leave whole. Put all capped berries in a large bowl. Sprinkle a layer of the berries with a few tablespoons of the sugar. Repeat until all berries are capped and sprinkled with sugar. Allow berries to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to smash about half the berries to release juices.
- Stir in balsamic or other fruity vinegar.
- Fill glass jars with strawberries and juice, leaving about 3/4 inch of each jar unfilled.
- Put lids on jars snugly. Place in freezer until you are ready to use.
—By Teresa Blackburn