Campanelle with Caramelized Onions, Peas and Mint
- Yield 3 servings
Any type of pasta will work in this savory dish starring sweet caramelized onions and pea.
- 2 large yellow onions (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces strozzapreti, farfelle, or campanelle
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for shaving on top
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut onions into halves through the roots. Place cut side down on a board. Thinly slice lengthwise.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook over high heat, stirring, until dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Add peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Add vinegar and fish sauce to onions and cook 2 minutes. Add drained pasta and peas, reserved cooking water, mint and cheese. Cook 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Serve in bowls. Use a vegetable peeler to shave extra Parmigiano Reggiano on top.