California Walnut Stuffed Salmon
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
This entrée packs a “mega punch” with walnuts and salmon both being rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The addition of brown rice and spinach rounds out the nutritional balance and flavour.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped California Walnuts
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and pin bones removed
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, spinach, salt and pepper and cook just until spinach starts to wilt, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked rice to spinach and stir in lemon zest until well combined.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over salmon and sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Roll up gently using toothpicks or butcher’s twine to secure.
- Place salmon on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and bake in 375F (190C) oven until fish is cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with steamed seasonal vegetables or green salad.