California Walnut Breakfast Cookies
- Yield 100 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- 3 cups butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 6 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 5 cups pineapple, crushed (in juice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons maple flavoring
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups oatmeal
- 6 cups dates or raisins
- 6 cups California walnuts, chopped
- Cream butter, applesauce and sugar in mixer bow.
- Add crushed pineapple with juice, vanilla and maple flavoring.
- Combine flour, dry milk, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture.
- Blend in oats, dates (or raisins) and California walnuts.
- Using 16# scoop, drop cookie dough onto baking pan. Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350F for 12 to 15 minutes in a conventional oven or at 325F for 10 to 12 minutes in a convection oven.
Recipe by Vanna Lynn White, Three Oaks Elementary School, Ft. Myers, Fla.