California Walnut and Apricot Rugulach
- Yield 4 dozen
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 25 mins
These traditional cookies combine walnuts and apricot marmalade.
- 1 package light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger and cardamom
- 3/4 cup apricot marmalade
- 1 -- egg
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Pastry: In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy; beat in sugar. Stir in flour until well combined. Form into a ball; cut into 4 pieces and shape into discs. Wrap individually in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling.
- Filling: In small bowl, stir together walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom.
- Assembly: On lightly floured surface, roll each disc into an 11-inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Spread 3 tbsp marmalade over top; sprinkle with 1/4 of the walnut mixture. Cut into 12 wedges. Starting from the wide end, roll up each wedge to form a crescent roll. Place each crescent two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Beat egg lightly; brush over each crescent and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in 350F oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.