California Style Anchovy-Stuffed French Toast Panini
- Yield: 3 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 3-5 minutes
- 1/2cup diced dried dates
- 1/4cup sliced almonds
- 2 oil-packed anchovies
- 1tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 6ounces California black olives, drained
- 2teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4cup grapeseed oil or as needed to make paste
- 2teaspoons grated orange zest
- 6slices hearty country-style bread
- 3slices deli-sliced gruyere cheese
- 1large egg, beaten
- 2/3cup milk
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Combine dates, almonds, anchovies, shallots, black olives and vinegar in food processor. With motor running, slowly add enough grapeseed oil to make a paste. Scrape into a bowl and stir in orange zest.
- Lay 6 slices of bread on wax paper. Spread each slice with divided olive paste and top one slice with cheese. Cover with other slice of bread, olive paste down, pressing gently.
- Combine egg, milk and salt in pie plate. Dip each sandwich into mixture, one at a time, coating well. Using nonstick panini press, cook on medium high until golden. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Slice diagonally if desired. Serve hot or warm.