California Milk Advisory Board
- 3cups Real California 1% milk
- 3cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup peeled and diced russet potato
- 6 scallions, whites only, sliced thin
- 12large fresh mint leaves
- 4cups shelled fresh or frozen sweet peas
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2cup non-fat Real California sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
- In a saucepan, bring milk and broth to a simmer and add potatoes. Cook, partially covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add scallions and mint leaves; simmer for 5 minutes. Add peas and cook about 5 minutes or until peas are tender but still bright green. (If using frozen peas, cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until peas are soft.) Cool soup quickly in a larger pot of ice water to retain its color.
- Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Just before serving, heat soup over low heat and season with salt and white pepper. (To serve soup cold, place pot with blended soup in a larger pot of ice water and stir until cold, or place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.) Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt.
Tip: Freeze soup in plastic containers or zip-closure bags; thaw in refrigerator and serve cold or heat over low heat, whisking until smooth.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 131
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 143mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 9g