California Raisin, Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Orzo Pasta
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- 16 ounces orzo
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 red onions, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Cook orzo in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain. Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, salt, pepper, vinegar and honey. Sauté 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then, stir in cooked and drained orzo, blue cheese, mascarpone, spinach, raisins and nutmeg. Heat briefly to warm cheeses.
- Spoon onto large serving platter. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve, immediately.
Recipe by Lisa Renshaw, courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board