California Raisin-Almond Chicken Curry (Murghi Kismis Salan)
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- 2pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2cups California raisins, divided
- 2medium thinly sliced yellow onions, divided
- 1small coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 2tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 5medium garlic cloves
- 2tablespoons clarified butter or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4cup sour cream
- 1/2cup ground almonds
- 4 green cardamon pods
- 2 to 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1cup water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Trim and cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in heavy 3-quart saucepan; set aside. In food processor, place 1 cup California raisins, half the onions, pepper, gingerroot and garlic; purée until smooth. Add to chicken. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter, heavy cream, sour cream, almonds, cardamom, bay leaves and water.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 30 minutes.
- Add remaining California raisins; cover; cook 15 to 20 minutes more.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat; add remaining onions. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Combine onions and salt with curry; cook 2 to 4 minutes more to blend flavors.
- Discard cardamom pods and bay leaves; garnish with cilantro.
Note: Curries are sauce-based preparations often served with steamed rice and flatbreads.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 17.15
- Calories 370
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 390mg
- Potassium 620mg
- Carbohydrate 35g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 23g
- Protein 26g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 25%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 10%