California Mission Fig and Fudge Cookie Sundae
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Figs star in the delicious chocolate cookies as well as the caramel sauce in this recipe.
- Mission Fig and Fudge Cookies:
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 16 -- dried California Mission figs, divided
- California Fig and Caramel Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce
- 6 -- dried California Calimyrna figs, stemmed and chopped
- 1 quart walnut ice cream or 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts mixed with 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- To prepare the cookies. Combine chocolate and butter in small bowl and place over warm water or microwave on low until melted. Stir until smooth and set aside. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together in mixing bowl and set aside. Measure eggs, sugar and vanilla into another bowl; whisk or beat vigorously until mixture is smooth and pale in color. Add melted chocolate mixture, sifted dry ingredients and 8 coarsely chopped figs; mix together well. Chill until firm.
- With tablespoon or No. 60 scoop, divide and shape dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar. Arrange about 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut remaining 8 figs vertically into 4 thin slices each. Arrange one slice on each cookie and gently press down. Bake at 325F for about 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet and dust with additional powdered sugar.
- To prepare caramel sauce. Heat sauce in 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and chopped figs. Let stand.
- To serve. Scoop generous portions of ice cream into ice cream coupes or small serving bowls; spoon on Caramel Sauce and garnish with the California Mission Fig and Fudge Coo kies. Makes 2 1/2 dozen small cookies and 8 sundaes.
Recipe courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board