California Gazpacho with Herbed Walnuts
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
This traditional tomato gazpacho is topped with a sprinkling of herb-roasted walnuts.
- Herbed walnuts:
- -- Oil for the baking pan
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- California Gazpacho:
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 -- cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 slices white bread, torn in pieces
- -- Pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste, if desired.
- 4 -- low-fat flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350F. To prepare the herbed walnuts, spread the oil in a small baking pan and place the pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup or bowl stir together the rosemary, cayenne, and a pinch of salt, if desired; set aside. Add the walnuts to the oil and stir and toss to coat them. Sprinkle with the rosemary mixture then stirring twice, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Set aside until serving.
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, garlic, onion, vinegar tomato juice and bread.
- Process the soup in batches in a food processor or blender just until it is coarsely pureed – it should not be too smooth. Return to the bowl then cover and chill thoroughly. Before serving, if the soup seems too thick, stir in some tomato juice. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste, if desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with herbed walnuts and tortilla.