- Yield: 16 pieces
- 32-- caramel candies
- 1/3cup evaporated milk
- 1/2cup flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2cup rolled oats
- 4tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 6ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine caramels and milk. Heat over simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in brown sugar and oats. Mix in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Press 1/2 of the flour mixture evenly into a buttered 8-inch square pan. The layer will be fairly thin. Spinkle chocolate chips and pecans over surface evenly. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips and nuts. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Refrigerate until set, then cut into sqares.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Pasadena’s California Sizzles (Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., 1992).