California Cheese and Vegetable Sandwich
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 2 orange juice
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 pieces of foccacia bread (Can substitute French roll or Kaiser roll)
- 1large red pepper, sliced in rings (12 slices)
- 1large yellow pepper, sliced in rings (12 slices)
- 1/2pound eggplant, sliced into 12 slices
- 2 to 3 yellow squash, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 to 2 zucchini, sliced into 8 slices
- 2 green onions
- 4ounces Real California Mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 slices
- 4ounces Real California Cheddar cheese, sliced into 8 slices
- 2cups mixed salad greens
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, oil and orange juice. Add thyme leaves to dressing.
- Brush vegetables with dressing & place on grill rack 4-6″ from coals. Turn with tongs and baste, grilling until softened and slightly browned.
- Slice each foccacia horizontally to create a top and bottom for each sandwich and place on grill briefly until warm & toasted.
- To assemble each sandwich: 3 slices each of red and yellow peppers, 3 slices eggplant, 2 slices each zucchini and yellow squash, 1/2 green onion (cut into 1-inch pieces). Use 2 slices each of Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Use approximately 1/2 cup of greens for each sandwich. Slice each sandwich diagonally, creating 2 triangles.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board