Calabash Fish Fry
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2cup horseradish
- 1/2cup sour cream
- -- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 2-- eggs
- 2/3cup cornmeal
- 1cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2pounds fresh fish fillets, cut into thin pieces
- 1cup cooking oil
- 2-- lemons, cut into quaters for garnish
- Blend the horseradish and sour cream and season to taste with salt; set aside.
- In a shallow large casserole dish, place the flour. In a mixing bowl with a whisk beat the eggs with 2 teaspoon of water. In another casserole dish combine the cornmeal and bread crumbs.
- Dip the fish pieces in the flour, then into the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal mixture until coated.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, bring cooking oil to 350F for frying. Fry the fish for about 5 minutes or until brown, crispy and flaky.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lemon and horseradish sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Henderson Park Inn’s Exceptional Taste (Dunavant Gulf, LLC, Memphis, Tennessee, 2010).