Cajun Turkey Loaf
- Yield 8 servings
"This turkey meatloaf is healthy and hearty!"
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, with tops
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chacheres seasoning (or other Cajun seasoning blend)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup quick oats, uncooked
- 1 to 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, and saute the onion, celery, green pepper, green onion, and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. When completely heated, set aside to cool.
- Place the turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled seasoned vegetable mixture and the oats, 1 of the eggs, 1/4 cup of the milk and the ketchup. Mix with your hands until well blended. Add another egg and more milk if the mixture needs more moisture. It should be firm enough to hold a loaf shape. Shape the mixture into a large loaf, and place in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake until the center is well cooked, about 1 hour.
Recipe by Sharon Shanks, Raywood, Texas