Cajun Spiced Walnuts
- Yield 2 cups
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
A spicy kick makes these just the ticket as a pre-dinner nibble with drinks.
Prepare them a day ahead if you can, as the flavors blend and mellow overnight.
- 1 -- egg white
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups (1 pound) California walnut halves and/or pieces
- Preheat an oven to 350F. Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl place the egg white, garlic salt, herbs, cayenne, and paprika. Beat with a whisk of fork until blended. Add the walnuts and toss until they are evenly coated, then spread in the prepared baking pan. Bake 16-18 minutes, stirring once after about 8 minutes, until the nuts look dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container. (Makes 2 cups)
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Prepare ingredients as above. Spread prepared walnuts in microwave-proof dish. Microwave on high in 4 or 5 batches for 2-3 minutes each, until dry and crisp. Cool completely.