- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 33 mins
This Cajun-inspired side dish of potatoes is a perfect accompaniment to grilled steak or chicken.
You can use any kind of potato you like—we prefer Yukon golds.
- 4 large Yukon Gold or red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 small red onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- Cut potatoes into thick wedges. Place in a large pot, cover with salted water, and cook 3 minutes. Drain well and place on 2 (15 x 10-inch) rimmed baking sheets with the onions, lemon, garlic and bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over potatoes. Toss well to coat.
- Roast 30 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and liquid has been almost completely absorbed. Turn potatoes frequently during cooking using a spatula.
—Recipe adapted with permission from Caroline Betherton’s The Kitchen Garden Cookbook (DK Publishing, 2011).