Cajun Shrimp Potato Chowder
- Yield 6 servings
This creamy full flavored soup is as perfect for company as it is for the family.
If you make the chowder ahead, reheat, then add the spinach just before serving.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed red potatoes
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each: paprika and salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, sauté 5 minutes. Add potato, chicken broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually add milk to flour, whisking until smooth. Add to soup, stirring well. Cook 10 minutes over medium low heat or until thickened. Add shrimp and spinach and cook for several minutes more until spinach is wilted.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board