Cajun Meat Loaf
- Yield 6 servings
The creative use of spices give this meatloaf a cajun flare.
- 2 -- green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 -- eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- Saute the green onions, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in the butter in a skillet until softened. Add the salt, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and half-and-half and cook for 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Combine the ground beef, pork, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in a large bowl and mix well. Add the vegetable mixture and mix well. Spoon evenly in a 5×9-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350F for 70 minutes or to 160F on a meat thermometer. Let stand until cool. Drain before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious Favorites(Scrumptious Inc., Decatur, Alabama, 2011).