Cajun Hollandaise Sauce
- Yield 3/4 cups
This spicy condiment has many uses.
- 3 -- egg yolks, about 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- -- Salt to taste
- Combine egg yolks and lemon juice in a double boiler; mix well. Cook over simmering water just until the egg yolks turn bright yellow and begin to thicken, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and beat in the butter until thickened. Stir in the marinara sauce, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning and salt. Serve immediately, discarding any unused sauce. For traditional Hollandaise sauce, omit the marinara sauce and Cajun seasoning.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina’s Tested by Fire, Triad Community Kitchen (Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 2011).