Caesar Salad with Chickpea Croutons
- Yield servings
- Chickpea Croutons:
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Caesar Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads romaine, washed, dried, and thinly sliced
To make the croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Put all the crouton ingredients into a medium bowl and toss to coat. Spread the coated chickpeas in single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
To make the dressing:
- Put lemon juice, Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, nutritional yeast, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper, and yogurt into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Turn the blender down to its lowest speed and slowly add the oil until fully incorporated.
- Put the lettuce into a large bowl then add the Caesar Dressing and toss until every leaf is coated. Transfer the salad to serving plates and divide Chickpea Croutons evenly among salads.
Recipe from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food: 150 Down-Home Recipes Packed with Flavor, Not Calories, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.