Caesar Salad with Chickpea Croutons
- Yield: servings
- Chickpea Croutons:
- 2cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- Caesar Dressing:
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon capers
- 1clove garlic, chopped
- 3tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2heads romaine, washed, dried, and thinly sliced
To make the croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Put all the crouton ingredients into a medium bowl and toss to coat. Spread the coated chickpeas in single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
To make the dressing:
- Put lemon juice, Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, nutritional yeast, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper, and yogurt into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Turn the blender down to its lowest speed and slowly add the oil until fully incorporated.
- Put the lettuce into a large bowl then add the Caesar Dressing and toss until every leaf is coated. Transfer the salad to serving plates and divide Chickpea Croutons evenly among salads.
Recipe from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food: 150 Down-Home Recipes Packed with Flavor, Not Calories, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.