- Yield 10 pieces
Healthy, sautéed vegetables are wrapped in crispy phyllo packets.
- 1 small head green cabbage, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -- kohlrabi (turnip cabbage), grated
- 3 -- carrots, grated
- 2 -- celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 to 12 sheets phyllo dough
- Put cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 15 minutes. Transfer to a colander and wring out excess liquid. Transfer cabbage to a large skillet and add oil. Sauté until cabbage turns a dark yellow color, about 10 minutes.
- Add kohlrabi, carrots, celery, onion, and water. Simmer, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft and the water has evaporated. Add black pepper. Allow vegetables to cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Fold phyllo sheets in quarters to obtain a rectangle 4 layers thick and about 5"×8". Place 1/2 cup of the vegetable filling diagonally across the phyllo sheets, fold the short corners over the dough and roll it towards the long corner to make a log-shaped package.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, loose side down. Brush lightly with melted margarine, if using. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Hotel Gellert, Budapest, Hungary. Published in Best in the World II, Jennifer Keller, R.D., editor.