Vegetable Soup with Kale, Cabbage and Butter Beans
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
This recipe is vegan, but feel free to use good quality chicken stock and cultured butter if you wish. Add extra stock if you’d like more broth. Hard boiled eggs or shredded chicken go very well in this soup as well.
- 1/4medium green cabbage, shredded
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 4-5cups vegetable stock
- 1 15.5-oz can butter beans, drained
- 4 whole kale leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves or 4 dried
- 4teaspoons cooking oil or butter
- For the croutons
- 4slices dark rye or sourdough, cut into 1cm squares
- 1tablespoon cooking oil or butter
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add shredded cabbage and leeks. Cook, stirring until the cabbage has wilted and reduced volume by half. Add stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the cabbage has softened. Add canned beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Wash kale leaves and stems under cold running water, shake off excess water. Chop across the leaves into 1cm wide ribbons. Heat 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in a medium frypan over medium heat. Add kale and cook, stirring, until wilted and becoming crisp. Turn off the heat and leave until serving.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in another fry pan over medium-high heat. Add bread squares and cook, stirring, until the croutons are lightly browned and crisp.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with crispy kale and serve croutons on the side. Pop a few croutons into the soup at a time so that they can retain their crunch in every bite.