Cabbage and Apples with Caraway
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This dish can be made 2 days ahead and reheated in the oven or microwave without any loss of flavor or character.
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2tablespoons caraway or poppy seeds, optional
- 1large head green or red cabbage, quartered, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1/4cup sugar
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2cup water or apple juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a very large saute pan or wok with the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute 4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the caraway seeds and cabbage. Continue sauteing 5 minutes. Add apples, sugar, lemon juice, bay leaves and water. Continue to cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally 10 minutes until tender but still a bit crunchy. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 97
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 21mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 14g
- Protein 2g