- Yield 6 servings
You can substitute soymilk in place of regular milk in most any pudding recipes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk, divided
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups plain or vanilla soymilk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup evaporated milk and brown sugar, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes. Bring to a boil, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Heat soy milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Combine 3/4 cup evaporated milk, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Gradually add hot milk. Stir hot milk mixture into brown sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon 1/2 cup pudding into each of 6 (6-ounce) ramekins. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap; chill 3 hours or until pudding is set.
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council