Butternut Squash Risotto
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
Sweet and nutty butternut squash cooks with the rice, soaking up the broth until tender and toothsome in this rustic main dish.
- 4tablespoons butter
- 2cups cubed butternut squash
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon chopped sage
- 6cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4cups Arborio rice
- 1/2cup white wine
- 1cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large sauté pan slowly melt butter over medium-low heat. Add squash, onion, and sage. Sauté gently for 5 minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Heat the broth, set aside.
- Add rice and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until rice looks opaque, 6 to 8 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer until the liquid evaporates.
- Add half of the broth all at once to the rice. Raise heat so that the liquid bubbles over the entire surface. Cook the rice a total of 18 minutes from this point, stirring often. As the rice absorbs the broth, add some more broth, a little at a time. Be careful not to add too much broth at the end of the cooking time because the rice should be naturally creamy, not swimming in broth or fluffy and dry.
- Stir in the 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano. Remove from heat, cover and let stand several minutes. Stir in parsley and serve with more grated Parmigiano Reggiano at the table. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
–Recipe courtesy of The Parmigiano Reggiano Consortium