Butternut Squash Risotto with Pumpkin Seeds and Parmesan
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 cups diced butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron or turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups short grain rice, Arborio or other
- 2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 F. combine squash, olive oil, salt and thyme. Spread squash evenly on a baking pan and roast uncovered for approximately 45 minutes stirring occasionally until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pot heat butter over medium high heat and sauté onion and saffron or turmeric for 2 minutes. Add rice and coat well with onion and spice.
- Add one half cup of vegetable stock at a time and simmer, stirring constantly until absorbed. Repeat this process until all the stock is used and the rice is tender and creamy.
- Fold in the roasted butternut squash, cheese, parsley, pepper, and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.