Butternut Squash Cheddar Soup
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Sour cream and Cheddar cheese balance the sweetness of the squash.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (such as Cabot)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon White pepper
- -- Chopped chives (optional)
- Combine squash and broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Place squash mixture and garlic in food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in sour cream, cheese, butter, red pepper, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Garnish with chives, if desired.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.