Cheesy Butternut Squash and Sweet Corn Casserole
- 1large (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 ear of corn, or 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4cup pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1cup shredded Gruyere (about 4 ounces)
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese in a large (9- x 13-inch) casserole dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake the casserole on the center rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, lift off the foil, and sprinkle the top of the casserole with the cheese. Bake the casserole, uncovered, until the squash is fork-tender and the cheese is golden brown and melted, for about 30 minutes longer.
This recipe was republished with permission from My Life on a Plate: Recipes from Around the World (Kyle Books, 2015).