- 1tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 to 3pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2quarts vegetable broth or water
- 2tablespoons orange zest or dried orange peel
- 1cup chopped parsley
- pinch nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil or butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Saute squash, carrots, onions and ginger 3 minutes until lightly browned. Add broth and orange zest; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 35 to 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add chopped parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Puree soup with a hand-held immersion blender or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade until smooth and creamy; this may have to be done in batches.
Recipe adapted from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook (Clarkson Potter, 2002) by Steve Petusevsky.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 63
- Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 19mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 1g