Butternut Squash Bisque
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This soup is sweet and dairy-free, full of flavor from of vitamin-rich butternut squash.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 to 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 -- (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 quarts vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons orange zest or dried orange peel
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- pinch nutmeg
- -- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil or butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Saute squash, carrots, onions and ginger 3 minutes until lightly browned. Add broth and orange zest; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 35 to 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add chopped parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Puree soup with a hand-held immersion blender or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade until smooth and creamy; this may have to be done in batches.